A Review Of PVC Fencing Choosing an ideal fence to install might seem simple at first, but it’s something that you often need to think through before making a decision on what to go for. The one thing you should be avoiding when doing this is the risk of ending up with a fence that will cost you a lot to maintain in future. One of the ways of avoiding this is by investing in a PVC fence. Most people underestimate the benefits of PVC when it comes to fencing, but it’s actually a product that you are likely to be very happy with once installed.
The benefits of PVC fencing
There are several benefits that are normally attributed to PVC fencing and these include:
- Affordability: PVC fencing costs are typically lower than the cost associated with using other types of fencing. This is mainly down to the fact that PVC is much easier to manufacture and work with.
- Longevity: When properly made, the PVC fencing panels tend to be very long lasting. They are also less likely to suffer from fade or damage due to the elements or pests, which makes them ideal for use in a wide variety of settings.
- They are easy to find: Finding PVC fencing is not likely to be a difficult task for you no matter where you are in the world. Most of the firms that sell fencing have some products that are made out of PVC, so you don’t need to struggle much in order to find them. Even if you live in a country where finding such a store is a bit difficult, you can always choose to buy online. There are some online stores that allow you to order such goods with ease.
- You can have them custom made: Sometimes, you will be interested in creating custom made fences. Since plastic is very easy to work with, this is a process that will not cost you a lot of money, making PVC the ideal material to make fences out of.
- They are easy to keep clean: Are you interested in keeping your fences looking as good as new? Cleaning them regularly is one of the best ways to do this. Due to their nature, PVC fences normally don’t get stained, and are easy to clean using any number of cleaning agents.
The cons of using PVC fencing
When all is said and done, using PVC fencing is ideal since it has so many benefits that appeal to a large number of people. However, there are a few minor cons that you should be aware of when using them. Some of these include:
- They are not biodegradable: The vast majority of PVC fences out there are not biodegradable, and will often emit toxic gases when burnt. This means that once they become waste, they are likely to do damage to the environment. Fortunately, there are many PVC recycling plants that have been started around the world, and you can use any of these to avoid this problem.
- They might look cheap: Most of the PVC fences that are not made to exacting standards often end up looking cheap and drab. To ensure that you don’t have to deal with this, you will need to buy them from sources you can trust. A high quality manufacturer is your best option.
How much does it cost?
As has been noted, one of the major advantages of using a PVC fence is the fact that it’s cheap. The fence itself, including panel and covering for installation waste is about $15 to $20 a foot depending on the quality of PVC used. The labor required to install the fence normally ranges from $20 to $30 an hour, while supplies such as connectors cost around $20 to $30 per foot.
In total, you should expect to pay around $70 to $90 per foot of fencing.
Of course, there are many variables that affect this cost, and you may end up paying a lot less than anticipated. Some of the factors that can affect it include the contractor you are working with, any discounts you get and the state you live in.
All in all, PVC fencing is one of the most affordable and long lasting types of fences you can get, and you can use it for virtually all applications.